Every family experiences challenging times. Sometimes families need support to move through difficulties that arise, such as marital breakdown or divorce, an illness or death in the family, financial challenges, or ineffective communication.
What is Family Therapy?
Family therapy is a type of group psychotherapy. At Steyaert counselling, we define any and all, “families” as any group of people who care about each other and call themselves a family.
In family counselling, the goal is to identify and address emotional, psychological, or behavioural problems within the family. The therapist assists the family to develop and maintain a healthy relationship.
How Does Family Counselling Work?
We help family members understand each other and work through difficult feelings that you and your loved ones may have while keeping a safe space. Our family therapy helps your family improve the interactions and communication between all family members.
Family Therapy Goals
The main goal of family therapy is to help family members understand how to develop and maintain healthy boundaries within the family. This goal may be done by our family counsellors helping:
- Improve family communication
- Build empathy and understanding amongst one another
- Exploring the interactional dynamics of a family relationship
- Strengthening the family’s problem-solving behaviour
Our Family Therapists May Help By:
- Talking about each person’s hopes
- Encouraging everyone to take time and discuss their experiences.
- Help clarify each family member’s values, beliefs, needs, hopes and assumptions so everyone can understand each other.
- Guide your loved ones to discover the root of the problem instead of blaming each other. Explore how to work together to make positive changes.
- Help families understand how impactful words can be towards other members of the family.
- Assist families to discuss all challenges they may be facing.
- Support the goals of each family and work towards their own goals.
Family Counselling Methods
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Family Systems Theory
Even though one theory may work for one family, there is no single path toward family counselling. Therapy maybe a couple of sessions, or it may be months of work with a combination of other types of support such as medication to find success with your family.
Who Can Benefit From Family Counselling
Family therapy can benefit any family members who are facing hardships in their life. Including any families:
- Striving for a closer relationship
- Facing any mental or physical challenges
- That is concerned about their child’s behaviour
- Who has shown interest in adopting a child
- Who have experienced divorce or separation.
Mental Disorders That Family Therapy Can Help Cure
Family therapy can be beneficial for people who may be dealing with one or more of these disorders:
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Eating Disorders (ED)
- Bipolar Disorders
Contact Steyaert Psychotherapy’s Family Therapy Today
If you and your loved ones believe that we are the right fit for you, then give us a call and we will be happy to start helping you achieve your family’s goals.
Sorry, you've reached your entry limit